Online Classroom Tutorial
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Getting Started
- 3 Programs
- 3.1 Program Overview
- 3.2 Syllabus
- 3.3 Lecture Detailed Page
- 3.4 Projects
- 3.5 Calendar
- 3.6 Announcement
- 3.7 Gradebook
- 3.8 Survey
- 3.9 Forum
- 3.10 Meeting with a Mentor
- 4 Courses
- 5 Support and Help
This tutorial will help newcomers learn how to use the online classroom platform by example. We will explain how to use the platform, including setting up your account, accessing your course and program materials, and how to make progress. If you still have any questions after reading this tutorial, please contact us for further assistance.
Each time a new browser version is released, we begin supporting that version. The online classroom platform supports most recent browsers. This includes the following versions:
- Chrome: latest
- Firefox: latest
- Edge: 2 most recent major versions
- IE: 11
- Safari: 2 most recent major versions
- iOS: 2 most recent major versions
- Oreo (8.0, 8.1)
- Nougat (7.0)
- Marshmallow (6.0)
- Lollipop (5.0, 5.1)
- KitKat (4.4)
Application Link and Additional Considerations
- The new online classroom platform can be accessed via this link
- Add *.nycdatascience.com to your email whitelist to prevent emails from New York Data Science Academy from filtering into your Spam folder
- You may register your NYC Data Science Academy account by clicking Sign up now button at the bottom of the login page.
- In the registration page, you need to enter your full name, email and a secure password. We will use your email as your unique identification across the system.
- Once you have reviewed the Terms & Conditions, check the box on the left, and click Sign up to finish the registration process
- The system will always redirect you to the login page if you're not logged in
- To log in to the system, simply enter your email and password, and click Sign in
- If you forgot your password or you would like to reset your current password, just click Forgot Password
- Once you have clicked Forgot Password, there will be a reset password link sent to your email address. You can use the link to reset your password.
On the home page, you will see the recent announcement, all of the Programs and Courses you are enrolled in, as well as the to-do list. You can click on the announcement card to view the message and view this message in the forum. The programs will be displayed first and the courses will follow after. On each program or course card, there will be some progress information displayed. The to-do list will show all the assignments, projects, and exams that you need to complete from all the programs and courses. By clicking on each item, you will be redirected to the corresponding page. The red item indicates it is a past-due. The to-do list will only show ten items first, and you can click on “Show All” to see more items.
The home icon, on the top right, redirects you back to the homepage where you can see your program and course enrollments. On the right, you will see your profile picture and your name.
You can click on the hamburger menu on the top left to open the side menu. It contains a number of functional features you will need for the learning experience.
The classroom is the page we are looking at right now.
NYCDSA provides a forum for students to interact with professors and classmates. You can post, reply and send direct messages to others. You will only have access to certain groups based on the program or courses you enrolled in.
The referral button will redirect you to our referral system where you can earn rewards when you refer a friend to NYC Data Science Academy and they are accepted into our data science program. The reward is only eligible for our data science program alumni.
The question mark icon, on the left, will redirect you back here to this wiki page.
Go to Profile. The profile page contains your basic user information. You may edit your name, email address, or progress report settings (currently only for courses) here.
Simply click the logout button and it will log you out and redirect you to our authentication system.
Programs are intensive learning experiences at NYC Data Science Academy. It is a collection of lectures and projects grouped by subjects that help you learn a variety of tools used by data professionals.
This page provides students easy access to a number of frequently used features. On the top, it is the program description. You will see the same “Recent Announcement” card and also the “To-do List,” however, the two sections here are only showing information for this particular program. You will also have access to the lecture you left off, as well as the quick access to the on-going project. At the bottom of the page, you will see the progress viewer where gives you an overview of how much content you have completed.
You can download the syllabus from the syllabus page.
On the modules page, you can click on “Continue Learning” to go to the page you left off. The modules page also lists out all the modules within the program. You can click on the module card to see more topics within the module. Once you have finished a lecture, there will be a green checkmark appearing next to the lecture name.
Lectures/ Resources/ Homework/ Quizzes Overview
These pages list out all the lectures/ resources/ homework/ quizzes within the program. They provide easy access to those materials.
Lecture Detailed Page
The lecture detailed page can contain a lecture video, notes, and more. The sidebar also changes to provide additional functions. There can be the homework page, resources page and the quiz page based on the component of the lecture..
Homework Detailed Page
When the lecture contains homework, there will be a homework detailed page. You can upload assignments for the homework. The homework solution will appear after submitting the homework.
Resources Detailed Page
The resources page allows you to download course materials.
Quiz Detailed Page
When the lecture has a quiz, there will be a quiz page on the sidebar. You can use the quiz to review the knowledge you learned in the lecture. The quiz has an auto-grade function, and you can view the solution once you submit the quiz.
Discussion Panel Button
If the lecture has its discussion board, there will be a “Discussion Panel” button that will take you to the discussion board that is specific for the lecture under the general forum.
Projects are essential to programs. Completing all the projects are required to complete programs. They allow you to put what you learn into practice and also help build a portfolio so of data-related work. Projects are displayed as cards on the Projects page. You can access them by clicking the action buttons on the cards.
The project page details the goal and instructions of the project. When you have completed your project, you can submit your project at the end of the page.
When submitting a project, you should write a short description of your project and post a link to your project. It can be a link to your GitHub or a link to a web application if you have created one. If you had worked with others on this project, you can add your fellow team members to the project.
If the program is live, there is a specific schedule for the lectures. The timeline will the specific time of each lecture, as well as some other essential event information.
You can find all the announcements for the program and access the announcement forum from the page. When you have an unread announcement, there will be a red dot indicator appear on the sidebar.
On the grade book page, you can keep track of all the grades from homework, projects, and quizzes. You can also click on the names to go to the corresponding pages.
NYCDSA encourages students to provide feedback on their learning experience. In the survey page, you can submit your feedback for a specific module.
Interactions in learning can help students a lot. By clicking the forum button, you will go to the forum.
Meeting with a Mentor
If you have access to mentors, you will see the meeting with a mentor button. It will take you to the meeting portal where you can schedule meetings with mentors.
Courses are self paced learning experiences where a user can focus on a specific single subject.
Enroll a Course
Step 1: Select and Pay
- Online courses can be found at All Online Courses. You can use this page to select and filter courses.
- Once you have decided to enroll a course, click Start Learning or Enroll Now in the course information page. The course will be added to your shopping cart. If you'd like to add more courses, just go to other courses page, and repeat this step.
- To purchase the selected course(s), click the shopping cart icon on the top right. This will redirect you to checkout page.
- Enter your payment information and email address
- Once the payment has been successfully processed, the system will send you an activation email for each course which you have paid for.
- Use the activation link(s) to finish enrollment. Please see below.
Step 2: Activate
Note: It is required to have an NYC Data Science Academy account before you activate any online courses. To register an account, please go to Email Registration Page.
- Once your payment has gone through, you will get an email from [email protected]. That email contains the activation link to enroll an online course. The link can only be used once. Please make sure don't disclose the link to anyone else.
- Click the activation link in the email. Your browser should open automatically. If it didn't open up, just simply copy and paste the link into your browser.
- If you're not logged in, the system will ask you to log in first. Once you're logged in, you will be able to confirm your enrollment as shown in the figure below.
- When the enrollment is confirmed, you will be able to see it on your dashboard. Also, the system will also send you an enrollment confirmation email like as shown below.
The course overview lists out the course information. On the overview, you can view your progress in the course.
Select and Switch Chapter
Clicking on the video row in progress table will direct you to its Course Learning page. If the video has multiple chapters, their titles will show up on the left side by default. You may hide/unhide them by clicking Hide Chapters/Show Chapters button. If you would like to view its detailed information or switch to a specific chapter, you can just click on its title. The expansion panel contains the exercise titles in each chapter. Clicking the titles which underneath the video player will have the same effect.
As shown below, if you want to take some notes while watching a video, just click NOTE tab. Your note will be synchronized with our server every 10 seconds, so you can always come back to view your previous notes.
If you click the big Practice tab on the right, you will see the exercises for the current chapter.
The system now supports three types of questions:
- Multiple choice questions
- Single answer
- Multiple answers
- Coding questions
- Data visualization questions
Once you submitted the right answer, the question will be marked as completed in the chapter's expansion panel.
Support and Help
If you have any questions regarding the use of this platform or want to report a bug, please use the Leave a message button, on the bottom right corner of the page, to let us know. You may also reach us at [email protected].